Thursday, July 19, 2012

tangential

So I'm abandoning the format of a themed blog. I mean, this is still going to document the whole of this experience, right? I just find it really difficult to come here and write when I know it's supposed to be about this one thing, especially when it's one thing that I generally have to force myself to think about even more in order to write a blog about it when the fact is that I would prefer to think about it somehow less.

I'm in the process of designing a bookshelf or bookshelves to replace the one in my living room. I'm trying to create a design that tells a story through math; wherein every ratio has a significance. Our anniversary here, a couple of birthdays there--that sort of thing. Getting them in there isn't that hard. It's the getting them in there while still maintaining a product that is aesthetically pleasing that gets kind of tricky. I know of the prevalence of the golden ratio ( x² = x + 1 ) in various construction and design projects, but this really makes me wonder how much more is written out there in a code that nobody's ever bothered to decipher. Did some clever engineer hide the name of an old lover in the shape of my headlights? Could be.


No comments:

Post a Comment